How do I deal with a gambling partner?

How do I deal with a gambling partner?

Obtain assistance. Finally, advise your spouse to get help from a gambling awareness organization such as Gamcare. They also provide private help and guidance to family members and friends of those who have gambling issues. Every day from 8 a.m. to midnight, you may reach them online or by phone at 0808 8020 133.

Prevent further involvement. It is important that you take action now to prevent your partner from gambling again. This means canceling his or her credit cards, checking their bank accounts to make sure there are no more problems, and changing the locks on any houses they may have been renting.

Take responsibility. If your loved one continues to gamble after you've taken all these steps, then they must be willing to accept full responsibility for their actions. You cannot control someone else's behavior, so don't try to punish them for what you believe to be their mistake.

Move forward. Once you have taken all the necessary steps to protect yourself from further harm, it is important to look toward the future. Consider how you can help your partner change their lifestyle so they are not at risk of developing another problem in the future. For example, if they need support getting back into work, suggest some organizations or professionals that might be able to help.

How can I help my partner with gambling?

Your companion can even speak openly at Gamblers Anonymous meetings in your area. Sharing their problem with others seeking gambling therapy might help them feel less alone.

Gambling is a very common behavior among partners of people who gamble. If you are in a relationship with someone who loves betting on games of chance, then you should know that they are more likely than not to follow the same habit. In fact, research has shown that as many as two out of three couples where one member of the pair suffers from an impulse control disorder (such as pathological gambling or hypersexuality) also exhibits some form of related disorder, such as depression or substance abuse.

That being said, not all partners of gamblers are affected by the disorder. You might think that you would be, but only if your loved one bet more than $100000 a year. Otherwise, you have nothing to worry about. It is estimated that only 10% of partners of people who gamble suffer from mental problems themselves. The other 90% probably think that everything is fine and do not need any help.

If you suspect that you or your partner has a problem with gambling, then call one of these numbers immediately.

How do you talk to a gambling addict?

Contact a gaming helpline. This might help them accept that they have a gambling issue and see the negative repercussions. The United States maintains a national gaming hotline, which may be reached at 1-800-522-4700. Other countries have similar services; check with your local Indian casino for details.

Take time out for yourself. If you feel like you're going through something serious, then it's important to take care of yourself. Go fishing, go hiking, visit museums... do whatever it is you love doing but just don't let yourself get too involved in anything else.

Find a support system. It's important to have people you can trust, who will listen to you without judging you. Find friends or family members who will give you honest feedback and won't hesitate to tell you when they think you need to change something about your behavior.

Don't gamble if you aren't prepared to stop. No matter how small the chance is of losing, if you bet money you shouldn't be able to afford to lose, then you're in trouble. Avoid putting yourself in these types of situations.

Learn from your mistakes. We all make mistakes, but some people learn from their mistakes and others don't. The ones that don't tend not to change their behavior unless forced to by something external.

About Article Author

Maria Little

Maria Little is a psychologist who specializes in couples counseling, individual therapy, and family therapy. She has been practicing psychology for over ten years and helping people find the mental health care they need since she first graduated from college. Maria completed her doctoral degree at the prestigious University of Houston with top honors.

Related posts